Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter Hats

Here is what I've been up to this week... playing around with more drafting and making winter hats.  The following hats are a combination of making a 'rub off' of a current well-fitting hat and drafting from scratch.


I'm a bit squeamish about posting the girl's faces online so that leads to difficulties when photographing hats.  We made it work, although Grace asked if she had to smile for the picture behind her hands.  :)








I'm happy with them.  They are made of fleece, so they are warm and snuggly and they have awesome coverage - all those ears and necks and cheeks will be toasty warm!  They are like little Eskimos, just without the fuzzy fur on the edge.  Grace likes hers so much she's been wearing it around the house.  And to bed at night.






I made the pink one first, doing a rub-off (a 3-D copy, basically) of Grace's current favorite hat.  A few changes to the darts during the fitting process and it turned out well.  Then I made a purple one, a tad bigger hoping it would fit Leah.  This is what we got:  


Its like a little beanie!  Not quite what I was going for, so I tried again and made the purple one pictured above and we'll give the small purple one away to someone else.  Like, a baby.  :)  

Practiced drafting and made something useful.  A winner in my book.  


UPDATE IN MARCH:  These are the best hats!  Warm and they stay on.  We had store-bought hats for the girls - these were just supposed to be extras - but they choose these over the store-bought ones every time.  Makes for a happy Mom.  







No comments:

Post a Comment