Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Messenger Bag Experiment

This little bag is for a six year old boy who is about to embark on a long cross-country trip.  He and his family are friends of ours here and are about to move very far away.  As their going-away present I made him a personalized 'treasure bag'.  Every kid going on a trip needs a special bag all their own for their books, paper, crayons, snuggles, toys, snacks, and other assorted treasures picked up along the way.


I thought about the bag for days and sketched out ideas on scrap paper.  I bought felt for the embellishment on the front, piping for the outer edges, and a sturdy webbing for the strap (I had the denim already).  I was really happy with how it was turning out - everything just like I had planned.  Until I measured wrong and made a wrong cut.  I hate that when that happens!  I was able to salvage the good parts of the bag that I had already completed (the embellished flap and the piping around the edges of the bag and the flap) I just had to piece together two pieces of fabric that I had really wanted to be one smooth piece.  I'm sure its one of those things that no one else will notice, I was just really frustrated because I had planned it properly and the mistake was a silly one.  Oh well, live and learn I guess.  The six year old won't care one bit - I'm sure he'll love his little satchel and jam it full of all kinds of goodies on his trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment