Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, May 11, 2018

Purl Soho Sunbonnets

I have been enjoying this free pattern for a sunbonnet the last few months.  I used it for the first time last summer when I needed a fix of sewing something itty bitty before Baby arrived.  These two turned out adorable and SO tiny.  They, of course, were quickly outgrown but I remembered that the pattern came together easily and quickly and so I gave it a whirl again last month.






This is the 12-18 month size (there are no corresponding head circumference measurements that I could find so sizing is a wild guess).  I also extended the length of the visor by in inch or so to make a really long visor.  It works perfectly!  The bonnet part keeps the long visor facing forward (no twisting when she turns her head) and the long visor provides really good sun protection.  It has worked great in the stroller and in the carseat.  This one is all quilting cotton (with lightweight interfacing in only the visor portion).

Then I made another alteration and completely removed the visor for this winter version.  Cotton on the outside, fleece on the inside.  The fleece took up an amazing amount of space/bulk so I sized up at least one size, maybe even two.  I love the full ear and cheek coverage this warm hat gives.  And again, no twisting or sliding down on her eyes like stocking caps sometimes do.  Plus - it's adorable!





I see many more of these in her future... we'll just keep sizing up.   They sew up super fast - you can start and finish one in an hour.  If you're lucky enough to have an uninterrupted hour to sew, that is.  ;)



Then a relative e-mailed out of the blue asking for a bonnet and apron for her daughter for an elementary school field trip where the kids are invited to dress up old fashioned.  I took a random guess and copied the pattern at 125%.  I was shooting for something to fit an eight year old.  Its a bit big so maybe 115% would have been better.  (This one also has the extended visor.  Handy on the prairie but if tunnel vision isn't your thing we've found that its easy to fold the visor back on itself so it sticks out only half as far.)







Thanks for the great free pattern, Purlsoho!


No comments:

Post a Comment