Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 19, 2018

York Pinafore

This must be some sort of record.  The pattern for the York Pinafore was released at the end of May.  Its now the middle of July and I've sewn not one, but TWO pinafores as well as taken photos of them and gotten this post up.  That's warp speed for me!  





For a bit of background, I am a follower of, but not really a participant in, the online sewing community.  I follow a few people through blogs and Instagram and enjoy looking at other people's makes but do not post my makes in an effort to be part of that community or try to keep up with all those super creative and uber prolific sewists.  Plus, I don't consider myself a very trendy person so I usually get around to trying new things just about the time they become out of style and yesterday's news.  ;)  Somehow, however, the stars aligned this summer in that I saw a cute picture of the York Pinafore (this one), I thought it could fill a hole in my wardrobe, and managed to purchase, print, cut, and sew it relatively quickly rather than mulling it over for months or adding it to the miles long list of 'things to try someday'.  And I'm so glad I did!  

I made a denim one first from some fabric I had in my stash.  I'll call it a wearable muslin... wearable but not perfect.  The denim is a tad heavier than necessary so its on the stiff side, and the sizing is a bit off (more on that later) but its wearable and confirmed for me that I'd like the garment in general.  I know it must be okay on the style radar because my twelve year old kept asking to try it on and borrow it!  








Then I dug into some 100% linen I recently purchased.  One of my goals for 2018 is to expand my knowledge on garment fabrics (so different from quilting cottons - so many choices!) and linen is one of the substrates I want to try.  I'd say my first try was successful.  Its not difficult to work with, just different.  Though it seems oddly stiff and scratchy as you cut it, the end result is a surprisingly light and breezy and comfortable garment.  









The York is a great instant gratification pattern.  Four pattern pieces - front, back, two pockets and you're done!  Cutting and the initial construction goes lickety split.  The bias binding takes some time but I absolutely LOVE the clean finish you get on the inside.  




Quick hem and off you go!  I made a size XS and that seems just about right.  I love the placement and size of the scoop pockets - they're perfect.  The hip area and skirt are just right too.  The two things I tweaked on my second version were on the upper bodice.  I lowered the neckline scoop one inch at the center front (one inch lower than the higher neckline offered in the pattern, that is) and also widened the bodice at the center front.  On my denim one the straps felt too close to my neck to be comfortable.  Between the closeness to my neck and the neckline being a bit snug I found myself always readjusting so I wouldn't be choked by the pinafore when I sat down.  Lowering the neckline  and widening the center front makes everything sit in the right place.  Its more comfortable and it stays put.  (I did a 2.5 inch total slash and spread of the bodice area on the front and back pieces - so 1.25 inches from the center fold - and blended that wider bodice into the bottom of the armhole area to keep the proportions/design lines the same.)  Those adjustments also make it much easier to put on... with no closures, a too small neckhole, and a pretty straight skirt its a bit of a trick to get the denim one over my head!

Too tight...


Just right...


(Old Hat New Hat anyone?   :)  Can you tell I have a one year old?!)


I now have two new wardrobe pieces that are comfortable and casual but a little nicer to wear than just shorts.   I've worn them both out and about a few times and really enjoy them!  I hope they'll work over long sleeves in the fall but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  Related to this make, I've got my eye on this pattern for the future... a similar look but an A line skirt and different back.  Don't expect that anytime soon, though.  Warp speed doesn't come around too often!  

No comments:

Post a Comment