Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Saving Faaaaaavorite Dresses

We've had many conversations like this one in our house lately:

Grace:  Hey Mom, look!  My favorite play-dress from last summer!

Mom:  Yes, thats nice honey, but look how short it is on you now.

Grace:  Its not too short, Mom.  See?  If I crouch down it covers my knees.

Mom:  Crouching doesn't count - look how high it goes when you stand straight or dance or twirl.

Grace:  But Mooooom, its my faaaaaaavorite.  It can't go in the Too Small Pile.  Puh-leeeease can I still wear it?


The thing is, Grace has grown 3 inches just since November.  So they are really really too short.

Mommy sewing skills to the rescue!  If you chop off a play-dress right underneath the armpits and then add a waistband it miraculously turns into a longer skirt.

Like this, see?

Before:  Faaaaaavorite twirly dress from last year


After:  Faaaaaavorite twirly skirt for this summer

(Side note: This photo makes the skirt look wonky and not straight, but its just the way its laying on the table - apparently I didn't straighten it before taking the picture. I assure you the hem/waistband are straight lines...)



Before and After (forgot to take a picture of the whole dress, but I bet you get the idea)


Before:  Way too short


After:  Just right for twirling


People often ask me if I save money by sewing my girl's clothes.  I always respond that its FAR more expensive to sew clothes from scratch than to buy them, (especially since I'm a garage sale, thrift store kind of girl) but that I certainly save money by KNOWING how to sew and mend.  Here is a great example.  Grace has a bunch of 'new' skirts for the summer that cost me nothing more than a couple of hours and the cost of fresh elastic.  Considering they are all hand-me-downs or thrifted to being with, have now been worn by two girls at their proper sizes and their getting a third season as skirts, I'd say thats pretty great!  

Sewing the binding on the big quilt.  So. Close. To. Being. Done.   






No comments:

Post a Comment