Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Superhero Capes... round two

I am steadily working, working, working away at that big hand-quilted quilt, but once in a while during a loooooooong project like that I need to take a break and quick make something.  Something that can be started and completed all in a day's time.  Or maybe two days, tops.

I made some superhero capes this past December for a gift exchange.  I liked them and therefore promised to make my girls some capes for their dress up box.  (They have some really old ones made out of ugly fabric that I made as an experiment - definitely time for an upgrade.)  The capes have been on my to-do list since December and this week they seemed like the perfect quickie-instant-gratification project to jump on.

So, here they are.  Leah picked blue and Grace chose pink.  The 'outside' is a stretchy crushed velour and the 'inside' is flannel.  Leah specifically asked for comfy fabric (vs sparkly or shiny) 'so that we can curl up in our capes and they'll be like blankets'.  As if we are short on blankets/quilts in this house.  :)





The shoulder parts/closures are drafted from the shoulder part of their slopers so they fit nicely.  They close with big velcro patches.  



In contrast to the ones I made at Christmas, I widened the pattern a little and used 60'' wide fabric so they could be really swishy/twirly.  It makes them a tad heavier though, so that should be taken into account with whatever fabric you use to make sure they don't pull down in the back and choke their little necks.  

The girls are very happy with them and have been whooshing around the house in them since the moment they were finished.  This was a nice project in that I made the Christmas ones first and got to tweak and improve the pattern for my girls.  Usually its the other way around - they get the prototypes and the other people get the improved versions.  So, thats a nice treat.  

The big quilt is almost finished and looks as though it might even be on time for the mid-April birthday deadline so that'll be posted in the coming weeks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment