Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mermaids

I have had visions of mermaid dolls floating around in my head for quite some time and they have finally come alive in fabric.

I have made three mermaids in the last few months and I think each one is better than the last.  I started by sketching a mermaid one night after trolling for ideas on Pinterest.  It took a few tried to get the 3-D mermaid softie toy to look like my 2-D sketch but I like how it has progressed with each doll.  Tweak this seam a bit here, add a little width here, take out a little width there, throw in a little football-shaped dart in this spot to make it lay nicer, etc.

Here is the first one, which was gifted to a friend's two year old daughter:


Theses are the most recent batch:  

Blondie is version 2.0 and the Red Head is 2.1.  I like the tail shape of the purple one the best - I think the others are a bit too pudgy.  Mermaids are supposed to be sleek and slim, right?   




 Leah requested that her mermaid have 'red hair that is long enough to braid' and was thrilled with the results.   We call Blondie's flippy ponytail a 'do-wop'.  


They have embroidered faces and fleece hair.  The rest is made from quilting cotton.  I found the perfect scaly-looking print for the tails at Hancock.  





Leah declared hers to be an adventurous mermaid who wanted to explore and needed a bag to keep things in.  Within ten minutes she had turned a scrap of red fleece into this stylish satchel.  :)



I have the fabric cut out and ready to sew for six more mermaids.   Our plan is to stitch them up and then deliver/donate them to the local Salvation Army shelter.  The kids there can have a little homemade softie and my girls can have the experience of physically handing something homemade to a child less fortunate.  Should be a win-win.  




No comments:

Post a Comment