Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunhat - Times Three

This summer we found ourselves without a single fabric sunhat for all three women of the house.  I've never really had one I liked, and both girls have outgrown their princess hats.  I had seen these and thought they looked cute so I thought I'd give the pattern a try.

I intended to make one for myself and then see if I could scale it down for the girls.  Apparently I didn't read the description well enough because its actually a kid's hat.  So I made some for them and then scaled it up for myself.  All my experiments in pattern drafting of clothing have really come in handy. Scaling up a pattern involving three separate curves would have thrown me for a loop a year ago but now it was no big deal - got it right on the first try each time.

Hat number one (for Grace) is the largest size in the given pattern.  Its the same fabric on the inside and the outside, so technically reversible but not a very exciting switch.  :)


Hat number 2 (for Leah) has a wider brim and is a smidgen wider around the head circumference.  Hers is two colors - green on the outside, yellow flowers on the inside.  



My hat is made an inch or so wider than the largest pattern piece around the head circumference and the brim is also significantly widened for more sun coverage.  Yellow flowers on both sides.  



(I used up all that yellow flower fabric on these hats - bonus points for using up the stash.  I also used a quart jar to help hold the hat up on this photo because it kept squishing flat, so it looks extra pointy/tall.)  

We've been using them for a week or two now with good results.  The pattern is a keeper and they were a fun quick sew.  













No comments:

Post a Comment