Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Blue Star Handbag

A while ago, I made this bag for myself.  I love it and it has garnered many compliments.  One of those compliments recently came from a relative who then asked me to make her one just like it.  My answer: "Sure, I'd love to!"  She requested a few specific things such as more interior pockets and a shorter strap.  I worked on it for a few days and then sent the bag off in the mail.  As this is my second time making this particular 'pattern' (my own design) it went together pretty smoothly and I am very happy with the way the bag turned out.

This bag is the same overall shape as my personal one, just a few tweaks here and there.  I did a color-blocked band at the top, for starters, which moved the pleat down a bit.   This tweak had the added bonus of giving the bag a bit more structure at the top.   I think I like the color-blocking better, so if and when I make another bag I hope I remember that!


I think this little pleat might be my favorite part of the whole bag!  


I always love piping on strap edges and I like how the strap connection turned out this time.  I find sewing around hardware to be challenging - it never seems to turn out as crisp and neat as I'd like it to.  On this bag, I left out the metal hardware altogether on the straps and attached the piped strap with the rounded blue fabric piece.  It stiffens the area a bit to give the strap some sturdiness and I was able to get all those seems nice and crisp and polished looking. 




Three interior pockets on one side and an elasticized pocket on the other.  
The closure is a magnetic snap - I really like those.



Here it is being modeled by a six year old in her jammies.  
(The bag is for an 80-something year old who won't wear it with jammies!)  



No comments:

Post a Comment