Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fabric Water Bottle Carriers Round 2

I made some fabric water bottle carriers earlier this year.  See this post for those carriers and the story behind them.

This is my second round of carriers, for us to use around town.  For this batch I added a pocket of stretch mesh to the side for granola bars, sunglasses, treasures picked up along the trail, or anything else small you might like to carry.




The pockets are made from white stretch mesh with a bit of elastic along the top.  I found it very tricky to sew stretchy elastic onto flimsy stretchy mesh.  I needed stabilizer but didn't have any on hand, so I just did the best I could and am choosing to ignore the wonky stitches.  I attached the pocket to the carrier itself by stitching over the long edges with bias tape.  I feel like the whole pocket is functional, but a bit bulky and not-well-finished.  If I make more, I'll definitely use stabilizer, and piece the pocket into the carrier as it is being made rather than this method of constructing it separately and attaching it at the end.  All that being said, the pocket is super handy!



These carriers also got hardware on the straps for fun.  The girls think they're cool and like to mess around with the strap clips - the straps have already been removed and used for all kinds of make believe scenarios around the house.    



Here is Photography Assistant Grace ready to go hiking.  In her Rapunzel nightgown.  :) 


Grace's is pink with hearts. 

Leah's is purple with owl fabric (by request, to match her art bag). 



Mine is black and white and simpler - no hardware or pocket.  


We've used them on bike rides and hikes and they're AWESOME.  The girls wear them cross-body on their bikes, freeing up room in their bike baskets for library books or whatnot.  They soak up water bottle condensation when its hot outside, drying out quickly and easily.  If they get spilled on or grungy they can do in the wash without a problem.  Overall, a very handy homemade project.  




No comments:

Post a Comment