Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ahsoka Felt Doll from Star Wars Clone Wars




Remember our family of dolls?



At some point I predicted the next doll would come from Star Wars and I was right.  Sort of.  Leave it to Grace to latch onto an oddball, spin-off character rather than one of the famous ones.  Not Luke, Leia, Han, or even Chewy.  Nope - her favorite is Ahsoka Tano, a character from the Clone Wars cartoon.




Seriously?!  I have all these adorable girly dolls...  






...from this cute book...  



... just waiting to be sewn.


 And my daughter wants this:  



Sigh.  


It was only a matter of time before Grace begged for an Ahsoka doll to join our doll club.  Not being a lover of strangely morphed creatures myself, I put her off for a good long time.  "Mommy doesn't sew creepy things" I kept telling her.   "She's not creepy, Mom, she's just from Star Wars and has cool head tails."  As expected, though, I eventually gave in - and then promptly blew her mind by creating this, my most ''detailed'' felt doll so far:





Here were Grace's "instructions":

white face markings, orange skin color, striped headtails, clothing decals, belts, armbands, the whole works...


and my interpretation of them:  










Ahsoka is made from cheap acrylic felt.  Its definitely not my favorite material to work with, but I doubt Ahsoka is destined to be an heirloom so I'm okay with it.  I keep a stash of rainbow felt for the girls to craft with (and for last minute doll making, apparently).  These pictures were just taken today and she's been played with for a month or so already so she's already pilly.    I used a mix of machine zigzagging to make the doll and some big hand stitches with embroidery floss for some of the details.  She's pretty lightly stuffed with polyfill so as not to put too much stress on the seams and make the headtails all funny shaped.  All in all, she was started and finished in one afternoon.  

 Grace was thrilled, which is what really matters.  I also make no predictions whatsoever on what the next addition to the doll family might be... you never can tell!  :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment