Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Colored Pencil Roll - Art Supply Case for 100 Pencils

My thirteen year old niece requested a roll-type pouch to hold her colored pencils.  She's quite the artist and has collected a zillion different fancy colored pencils and drawing pencils.  I measured some pencils we had around the house and drafted up this cool roll/sleeve.






It holds 100 pencils, as requested.  She wasn't kidding when she said she has a lot!  

I remember that the overall height was around 9'' (to be sure to hold a full unsharpened pencil) and I think the length is probably 40-50''.  It has already been mailed to her and I forgot to measure its final length.  (I just sewed the elastic on until I got to 100 loops and then trimmed the fabric to match.)


 It is two layers of sturdy twill fabric with 1'' wide elastic in little 'bumps' to hold the pencils tightly.  I tried a few different measurements on my test pieces to get the dimensions just right and ended up with 5/8'' of elastic stitched down every 3/8''.

These pictures are using a random selection of Crayola colored pencils from around our house.





Here is a picture she sent when she received it and filled it all up.  
Clearly, she could almost use another one!  



It rolls up and ties with self-made fabric ties.  


I also made a zip pouch from the scraps I had left over.  



I used teal as the accent color on all these because it'll match the tote bag I made her for Christmas that she now uses to hold all her art stuff.   May the drawing continue!  





No comments:

Post a Comment