Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hard working Pincushion from Anna Graham's (Noodlehead) Handmade Style book

Hi there!  Its time to catch up on posting finished projects again.

I vaguely follow Anna Graham (aka Noodlehead) - she's local and I like her minimalist style on most things.  I received her book (Handmade Style) for Christmas and was in the mood for an instant gratification project last month.  Thanks to her pattern, I now have an uber-useful pincushion for my sewing table.


It has pockets on all sides to hold all sorts of goodies... 


 I really enjoyed hand sewing portions of this project.  I hand pieced all the pockets and then added a little pink floss around the edges for a little fun contrast.  I used less interfacing than the pattern called for to make the hand piecing easier and just because I'm not a big fan of fusible interfacing - it just annoys me sometimes.  So my pincushion is a bit plumper than its probably supposed to be due to the lack of rigidity in the sides, but I still like it.  I tweaked the pockets to fit what I use.  (This end one is the seam ripper pocket, incidentally, which was missing in action when I went to take pictures.)







I customized the top with these little embroidered 'spots' ... 



... to be a home for my machine needles when I swap them out of the machine but they still have life left in them.   One spot for a used-but-still-good stretch needle, and one for a universal.   I don't know about you, but once the needles are out of their cases I'm at a loss for what kind they are.  I know there are microscopic size numbers on the needles but it seems I can never make sense of the color coding when I need to.   Now I'll know.  


Here is the pincushion in its new home, right by my other essential supplies 
(bobbin holder, magnetic pincushion, and box of assorted presser feet, a good smelly candle, and two very faded tissue paper flowers in sand bottles that were mothers day gifts from my girls when they were each in first grade)... 



... between my machines.   

(I know, a machine and a serger side by side on an 8 foot piece of countertop.  I am SO spoiled!)  









No comments:

Post a Comment