Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, August 19, 2016

My First Crocheted Garment - White Cardigan

This is the last 'catch-up post' of projects finished over the summer.  I actually finished this one back in spring but once it got warm outside it landed on the top of my dresser to await pictures and was forgotten.  I don't reach for a wool sweater too often between May and August but I modeled it on an 80 degree day just to take pictures.







This is my first crocheted garment.  Previously, I've only made blankets, scarves, bags made from rectangles, and shawls.  This is my first project that entailed following a pattern to size and sewing parts together at the end to make a complete garment.  I chose this as my first garment because it looked simple in both the overall sweater shape and it used simple stitches.

Overall I'm pleased.  There are definitely things I'd change about it for next time (see the end of the post) but its surely wearable and was a good learning project.

The pattern is called the Kram Cardigan and its from KT and the Squid.  I followed a crochet-a-long that was pretty simple and step by step.    It doesn't fit me the way it fits the model but I suppose that is to be expected.  While I am gradually learning how to sew properly fitted garments, knitted/crocheted garments are a whole different can of worms.


The sleeves are a bit snug.  
I'm a little concerned how they'll work layered over another shirt sleeve.  
(They are long enough though.  Glory be! Sleeves are always short on my long arms.)



I can't decide if I like how it hangs...


Its pretty long... 
 I feel like it needs a belt... or maybe a button right here?  



I'll just have to see how it goes when I wear it.  
In the few times I've tried it on so far my favorite way to wear it is with the collar flipped up all nice and cozy on my neck (like in the second picture).  

I do really enjoy the stitch pattern and the overall look of the sweater.  




If I make it again: 

1.  Don't lengthen the pattern as much or maybe even not at all. 
2.  Use a larger sleeve size or add increases so the sleeve circumference is larger. 
3.  Itchy yarn?  Yet to be assessed...
4.  Wider collar band probably?  
5.  Assess the closure and adjust if needed (belt/buttons/etc)

Overall a pretty good whack at a garment and I hope it'll get worn this fall/winter.  




No comments:

Post a Comment