Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

La Crosse, WI themed embroideries

I did a bit of hand embroidery this summer.  My kids sold crafts at a farmers market and I made a few things to sell on the side to help pay for the table fees.  These were quick but enjoyable little things to stitch up, have a bit of local flavor to appeal to the local foodie crowd, and sold well.  I think I made eight or ten total and only after selling a bunch remembered to take photos of a few I still had left.


They are all DMC embroidery floss on either solid quilting cotton or some linen pieces I had.  
The hoops are cute little 4'' hoops.  

This one is obviously not local themed, but a worthy sentiment nonetheless.  
I made a few in different colors.  
Since the stitchery itself is super simple, I used the chain stitch to jazz it up a little.  




This one would only mean something to someone from the La Crosse, WI area as the blue design is a representation of our 'Big Blue Bridges' that span the Mississippi River.   The ones I stitched with the bridge design were the most popular - I was gratified that everyone recognized them easily since I just drew it freehand until I thought the proportions looked correct.  






Another La Crosse themed one...





And this one is a little broader and would work for anyone in the state of Wisconsin.  




They were fun to sew and got really good reactions at the farmers market so I'll just tuck the idea away in my brain for future similar situations and/or as a good gift idea for people who appreciate where they live!  

The back I covered in another layer of cotton or linen so the stitches/knots wouldn't show, set them in the hoop nice and tight, trimmed away the excess fabric, and then ran a bead of glue around the edge to both stop any fraying and give it a bit of a seal around the edge.  Nice and clean and tidy looking.  




No comments:

Post a Comment