Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend quickie

I whipped these up for the girls over the weekend.  About a half-hour each.  There was a simple doll pattern in a kids sewing book we checked out from the library.  Trace, cut out, and stitch the head/arms/body piece, repeat the process for each leg, stuff them all, and then stick the legs into the 'waist' of the body and stitch it shut.  Piece of cake!   I added some strips of bias fabric when I stitched the top of the head to make hair and added the face with a Sharpie.  I changed the shape of the head for the right hand (brown haired) one and I like that better.  Not quite so flat on the top.  :)


Leah quickly pointed out that they were naked so 'we have to make clothes'.  Easy enough for her to do so maybe we'll tackle that some evening this week.  I was pretty impressed with making a doll in just a half and hour start to finish.  




The gears in my head are turning because I saw an article in a magazine about sewing 'comfort dolls' to donate to women's shelters.  The requirement for that particular nonprofit was a doll of any shape/material/style but less than 6'' so that it could be easily tucked into a ladies' bag or carried around inconspicuously.  These dolls are about 10'' so they would have to be modified.  But I'm thinking I could figure out my preferred pattern/style and then the comfort dolls could be a take-along hand sewing project I'd keep in the car/my purse to work on while waiting in the school pick-up line, at gymnastics, etc.  We'll see.  I've intended to do take-along project before and they've never gotten off the ground.  If I never post any more dolls, you'll know it was just another brainstorm...

No comments:

Post a Comment