Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Drawstring Backpacks

Here are drawstring backpacks for the girls.  


I have been playing with these for a while.  I made some quickie prototype bags last summer (ugly scraps and leftover string from making roman shades) in preparation for making 140 (!) bags out of canvas and clothesline for a VBS craft project.  Both girls use those ugly prototype bags all the time  - playing 'camping' or 'vacation', storing things when we travel, snack and drink bags on outings, etc.    


After that I used good quilting fabric to make myself one (lined it, even, and made nice bias-binding straps) and I used that as my purse all summer.  Pretty enough to take to church but also handy for parks, picnics, errands, etc.  Great because both hands are free for biking, carrying coolers, etc.  


Then in Nov/Dec, I was commissioned by a friend to make 8 of them for her to use as Christmas gifts.  Those all turned out adorable made out of girly or ballerina fabric.  


After all that, I thought it was time my own girls got cute ones so we can toss the ugly prototypes.  And here they are:




January must have been 'clean up month', because I've gotten all sorts of small things done that have been on the list for a while.    Next up (I think) is another baby gift... those April babies will be here before we know it!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment