Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Reusable Snack Bags

I've been meaning to experiment and make some reusable snack bags for over six months now, ever since I saw them for sale in a store for over $10 each (!) last summer.  Less buying and tossing of ziplocs, as well as less kitchen clutter of used/washed ziplocs floating around waiting for another use.  

A few hours last Saturday and I had a pattern worked out.  Another hour or so this Saturday and we are stocked up with four larger sandwich bags and four smaller snack bags.  


The outside is cotton scraps from the closet stash.  The inside is pieces of an old tablecloth - the kind that is vinyl on one side and flannel on the other.  We use a table cloth like that on our dining room table at all times.  A single tablecloth lasts almost a year (if you include using clear mailing tape to patch holes for a while).  Once it becomes too ratty for the dining room table, it then gets demoted to a craft/painting dropcloth.  We are on our second tablecloth now and I KNEW I saved the first one for a reason.  :)  Just made sure there weren't any paint drips on the pieces I cut out for lining and we're good to go!   I also had spare velcro in the dresser so that means each of these bags cost me exactly zero dollars to make.  Even better!  


Velcro closure - hoping it won't get too nasty with crumbs and whatnot.  I plan to keep them clean by either just brushing out the crumbs, giving them a swish around in the dishwater and let them air dry, or they can be tossed in the regular laundry.  


Leah already claimed the pink crosshatch one as her 'lunch sandwich bag' since it'll match her pink lunchbox.  :)  I did make one green on purpose so as not to make Keith eat out of a pink or purple bag at work.  (He usually uses tupperware anyway, so not a huge risk...)  





   


No comments:

Post a Comment