Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Sparkly Fairy Dresses

We usually ignore Halloween around here, but this year I decided to make the girls new dresses for the dress-up box that could also serve as costumes for the school parade.

They spent the summer obsessed with the Rainbow Magic Fairies series of books, so fairies seemed like a pretty safe bet.  I bought new fairy wings to replace our decrepit toddler-era ones and made these dresses without telling the girls anything.  What a fun surprise for them one day after school to have new dress up clothes!



I made simple bodices with full circle skirts.  The fabric is called 'confetti dot' (I think) and it has shimmery sparkly dots on a stretchy knit.  I fully lined the dress and skirt with a soft white knit so the dresses are very comfortable - no scratchy seams or itchy parts.   It was so stretchy and easy to sew I didn't even need a zipper or other closure - they are easy-on, easy off over the head.




I purposely made them a tad big so that they could wear warm layers underneath to school and they wouldn't outgrow them within a month or two.  Leah has outgrown just about everything in the dress-up bin so its wonderful for her to have something to wear that at least hits her knees.  


The full circle skirt gives them a pretty good twirl too!  

The dresses have already gotten tons of use.  Fairies, princesses, ballet dancers, and anything else that wears a sparkly dress - the girls have imagined it all.  

****************

I've also been working on a quilt.  I have the top finished and am now embroidering it but I forgot to take a picture before I started stitching so now it'll have to wait till the end.  Probably Christmas or someone's February birthday.  Picture 'pink' and 'cats' and you'll have a pretty good idea of what it looks like and whom its for.  :)  






No comments:

Post a Comment