Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Tote Bags (4)

Tote bags are my go-to gift for teachers at the end of the school year.  They are fun to personalize and, most importantly, a USEFUL gift for teachers.  One can only have so many apple dittys and/or wreaths made from crayons, right?  My girls have been at their current school for four years now so word is starting to spread that I sew and I have gotten a few commission sewing jobs here and there.

Recently, a teacher asked for some tote bags and I was happy to oblige.  She requested one for herself, one for each of her two kids, and then one for her classroom.


I sized/patterned these bags after another bag I made this same teacher and after my favorite tote bag.  Its roughly 16'' by 16'' with a boxed corner and a 28'' strap.  Very simple, but very functional.  They are large enough to carry around a wad of papers to grade or Sunday School teaching materials but not so large that things get lost in the depths of the bag.  

The teacher's personal bag is a fun grey swirly canvas (so it coordinates somewhat with her previous grey bag).  It is lined with canvas and has a layer of batting in between.  The straps on all these bags are sturdy nylon webbing covered in fabric.  This has become my favorite strap method because it makes a super sturdy strap that doesn't get all floppy with use but it still matches the bag.  




The bag for her daughter has a hand embroidered name on one side and a outside pocket on the other side.  I think the mom intends these bags to be used for carrying kid gear on trips.




Similar design for her son.  The two kid's bags are 100% cotton (outside, lining, and pocket) with one layer of batting.  




The classroom snack bag is embellished with fun felt letters.  I used double sided fusible web on the letters and then stitched them down for durability.  This bag is made from black sturdy canvas as it gets dragged (sometimes literally) back and forth to school each day by a different student.  I used up a piece of not-so-beautiful stripe I had laying around for the lining of this bag and I didn't cover the straps so they are plain white nylon webbing (the store was out of black nylon webbing and I was just a tad short on having enough canvas to cover them).   






Four fresh totes in roughly one week of home sewing time - not bad!
  
The next project is a another teacher-related thing... probably posted in a few days or so.  


No comments:

Post a Comment