Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Button down Shirt


As part of my binge shirt sewing in August I also replicated my favorite store-bought button down shirt.

I've tried to replicate it one other time with pretty good results (that was two years ago already and I've learned SO much in garment construction since then!).  I think I've got the kinks worked out and feel comfortable enough making all the different parts (collars, cuffs, plackets, etc) that next time I can invest in some great high quality fabric.  The first shirt (the green one) was quilting cotton and this one is a lightweight cotton purple paisley print.  I consider these both 'wearable muslins' - they let me practice and turned out a definitely wearable shirt but aren't anything special as far as fabric goes.







One completely new thing I learned on this shirt is how to sew a tailored sleeve placket.  I slowly followed step by step instructions from this book on my shelf and they came together fabulously.   I'll be proud of them, even if no one else knows but me.  :)  (Turns out a placket is hard to photograph...)





The pintucks were an experiment.  I think they're so so.  I had just barely enough width of fabric to do three on each side so that was decided more by necessity than design.  It gives the shirt a little something extra and was another way to practice something new on this shirt.  I chose pearl colored buttons to go with the pintucks and the lilac color to keep it feminine.




The construction of this shirt went very smoothly - everything from the plackets to the buttonholes to the hemming went very smoothly and was a fun change from sewing knits and baby gifts.  Hopefully the fabric will wear nicely and it will be a useful addition to my closet!  Now I need to decide on what fabric I'll use for the next version - I'd like something soft but sturdy.

After making myself four shirts, its time to switch gears and get back to a quilt project...

No comments:

Post a Comment