Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Serger purse

I found myself with a mostly free day yesterday and a four year old who wanted to contentedly play Legos.  Whats a mom to do?  Whip up a one-day-wonder, of course!

Here is a little purse made from the scraps from Leah's quilt.  Its a small over-the-shoulder job for when you just need keys, wallet, and phone and want to be hands free.




The pattern is from 'Ready, Set, Serge' which I currently have checked out from the library.  It has to be returned this week so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  The pattern is so-so.  Not the best instructions or photos in the book and when they said 'serge through all layers' I found myself with about ten or twelve layers of fabric that was just too thick for the serger.  I'm not sure if I didn't follow the not-so-good directions properly or if the author has some super heavy duty serger that can munch through anything.  I finished it on the sewing machine stitching very slowly so as not to break a needle.  And that was after trimming a few layers away.  I've tried two projects from the book now and its going back to the library and not on my Amazon wishlist.  Cute ideas in the photos, good to look at for inspiration, but not worthy of the sewing room bookshelf.

I love the patchwork strap.  That was not in the pattern, but instead inspired from here.  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2012/05/more-small-projects.html   I think those lanyards are adorable.  I don't really have a use for a lanyard too often so I made it into the purse strap instead.

Time to stop the one-day-wonders and focus on designing a quilt for a friend.

Also, lest you think I spent a whole beautiful day indoors in the sewing room, I also spent the afternoon outside picking rocks as part of a landscaping project I've got underway.  Morning in the sewing room, afternoon outside weeding and picking rocks.  A good mix, I think...   :)  




No comments:

Post a Comment