Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Drafting My Sloper

My 'sewing' this week included much more drawing, cutting, measuring, and redrawing than it actually did sewing any seams.  I finally tackled making my own sloper.  I'm on a mission to learn to draft my own patterns for clothes (so that they actually fit) and this is the first step.

I'll save you all the boring details, but it started with a friend helping to drape me in muslin (think: pinning muslin onto me in all the appropriate places to create a skin-tight muslin 'dress').  Then the rest of the week was spent tweaking and fitting that 'dress' until it fit like a glove.  Like, movie-star-skin-tight-wouldn't-be-caught-dead-in-public tight while at the same time keeping all the appropriate lines in their appropriate places (center lines of sloper aligned with center lines of body, side seams of sloper aligned with sides of body, etc).  It involves drawing on paper to make a 2D pattern and then turning that 2D pattern into a 3D 'dress'.  Check the fit with the help of the bathroom mirrors, use a marker to draw on that dress to make notations of changes needed on the fabric piece, then move those changes back to the paper.  Lots of unpicking seams to adjust them just a tad, lots of tracing, not much actual sewing.  Back and forth from 2D to 3D, paper to fabric, until the final result - a sloper that fit well in all the important places.

The sloper is akin to paper pattern of myself.  I can now (in theory) take that pattern of myself and make clothes to fit properly.  I suppose if I wanted a skin tight dress I could use the sloper as is, but thats not really what I'm after.  :)  I hope to make some nice, classic dresses for church and some skirts that actually fit my skinny-minny waist and hips.   I am happy that it only took a week, although I did so much reading before bed and number/shape crunching in my head that I dreamt about drafting.

Here is what the final paper looks like.  See what I mean about back and forth to make minor changes? Thankfully I took good notes and I know which lines are the final version.



Now should come the fun part - trying to make clothes from it!  




No comments:

Post a Comment