Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Teacher Bag Number One

Since finishing the big quilt, I've been busy working on end-of-the-year teacher gifts.  Happy to report I'm done with all three - and school isn't out for another few weeks!

The first one is for the leader of Grace's little church class.  Its like pre-preschool for a few hours once a week.  Grace went regularly this year as she enjoyed it, it made her feel like a 'big kid' going to school, and it gave me the opportunity to volunteer in Leah's first grade classroom without Grace tagging along.  The teacher is wonderful and so I thought she definitely deserved a gift.

I found this fabric at a local quilt store and knew it would be perfect for teacher bags.  I've been calling it a 'sophisticated alphabet'.  Its alphabet, but it doesn't have little animals or other juvenile things running all over it and its done in a nice rich color palate rather than primary colors.  I chose a linen-look-alike grey to keep it classy looking, and a little pop of red thrown in for fun.

Here is Bag Number 1:


The fabric was designed such that you could cut a panel that would include the whole alphabet.  I made that into the front of the bag and then designed around that.  Its big enough to hold paper, notebooks, binders, etc.  She's an organist and it could hold a healthy sized pile of music as well.  

I made it with just one strap for over the shoulder and was pleased with how it turned out.  
Love that linen-look.  I'll be going back for more of that fabric in other colors for other projects.  


Its lined with plain muslin and has a medium sized pocket.  



And here is the five year old modeling it for size reference.  
Just ignore the messy sewing room in the background.  :)  


Coming up next will be Bag Numbers 2 and 3.  
I'm posting them in the order I made them, but it also happens to be in increasing cool-ness.  I liked each bag better than the one before.  So, stay tuned for more fun bags!



No comments:

Post a Comment