Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Circle capes - school donation and for home

I've made capes before, see here and here.  I guess they must be cool because they surfaced again, albeit in a slightly different form this time.

These are circle capes - a big 360 degree circle of fabric with a shaped slit for a front opening, a collar, and some bias tape ties at the neck.  I pieced the large circle because I wanted the capes to be nice and long. Better for twirling and sneaking around like a detective if they are long.   :)  







The first one is double sided/reversible purple and black.  It was donated to a school fundraiser to contribute to a 'wizardry' themed basket.  It was a hit - everyone who saw it loved it.

That included Leah and Grace, of course, who subsequently begged for their own.  Big surprise there.  :)


Great for twirling and playing 'Frozen'...





The second two capes are a single layer to save on fabric.  (It takes 5 yards of 45'' wide fabric for a one layer cape - so the first one took 5 yards of purple plus five yards of black).  I used inexpensive broadcloth from Hancock for all of them.  The circles, roughly peter pan style collars, and bias tape ties are all self drafted shapes.  The single layer capes have edges finished with bias tape or a double-fold-over hem.  The reversible cape was sewn RST and turned right side out so the outer edge was fully enclosed.


No comments:

Post a Comment