Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Zip pouches

Here are two zipper pouches I made in April.  I used them as end-of-year gifts for bible study friends and also as a chance to try out a new-to-me method of inserting the zipper.

Zipper pouches are such great 'instant gratification' projects - quick, easy, and useful.  You can never have too many of these floating around!

This one you may recognize is made from scraps of my grey and pink dress.  One bible study friend and I had talked about how much we both liked the grey/pink color combo so this one was designed for her. 




Stitching it up reminded me, though, of my biggest pet peeve with zipper pouches - when the zipper opening is smaller than the width of the bag.  It makes it difficult to get things into and out of the bag, as well as hard to look in and see what you're digging for.  

I had been meaning to try this technique for a while and I gave it a whirl on the next bag. 


I love the nice snug finish to the front zipper end...



... and then the back zipper end extends beyond the bag edge with a little pull tab...



... so it can open all the way.  Slick.


(The lining is a bit too big on this one - I fixed that before I gifted it.) 

The outside of this one is scraps from a previous quilt project with a little bit of lace thrown in for fun.  




There are more bags in the works but they're not quite ready yet.  



No comments:

Post a Comment