Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Monday, May 26, 2014

2014 Teacher Gift Tote Bags

The end of the school year is nigh, so its time for teacher gifts.  I've made bags for three years in a row.  Tote bags are practical, seem to be appreciated, and are easy to personalize so I think I'll stick with the tradition for a while.

Our kindergarten teacher is a young, stylish, trendy gal so I thought a chevron bag might be fun.  Grace was dismayed at the color grey - she wanted pink of course, but I stuck to my guns and went with steely grey.  The fabric is heavy canvas from Hobby Lobby and I was happy with how it worked up.   Its two layers of canvas - plain grey for the lining and the top accent strip and grey chevrons for the outside and straps.



Pretty standard tote bag shape with boxed bottom corners, a bit large because I usually see teachers carrying big bags.  :)

The front has a personalized panel with the teacher's first name (stamped in permanent ink):




The back is plain:  


The straps were fun with the chevron print: 


So there's bag number one:  



Our second grade teacher loves all things pink and sparkly - seriously, her entire desk is a sea of pink sparkles and sequins.  I let Leah choose her fabric and we ended up with pink faux-alligator skin with black sequined trim.  Yikes.  


This bag is the same, front and back.  I was a little skeptical of the fabric, but it ended up sewing like a dream.  No skipped stitches, the straps were beautiful, and it certainly is fun and funky.   Not everyone would carry a bag like this, but this particular teacher can pull it off.  :)  




She also got a little zip pouch to go with it because I had a tad bit of extra fabric.  



So, teacher gifts all done and ready to go with about two weeks to spare.  My part is done, anyway.  The girls will still write their thank you notes to go with the bags.  

Now I have a bit of 'housekeeping sewing' to do before I can start any big projects.  The mending pile has grown, summer playdresses are calling my name, one daughter doesn't have a summer weight blanket for her bed, a few little things like that.  Once those are completed I think it'll be time to make myself another dress!  





No comments:

Post a Comment