Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Frozen Elsa/Anna Reversible Pillowcase

Leah was invited to a 'Frozen' themed birthday party a few weeks ago.  As soon as those elementary school birthday party invitations come home, my first answer is always "We'll see."  Once we've confirmed that the date works and the party is a go, my second line is always, "Well, start thinking about what you'd like to make the birthday girl."  My rule for birthday party gifts is that we either 1) make homemade or 2) give craft supplies so that the birthday girl can do homemade.  No store-bought dolls, toys, not even books unless there is something homemade along with the book.  Those are Mommy's rules - take it or leave it.  :)

Leah already had her idea before she came home from school that day with the invitation in her hot little hand.  She knew it was a 'Frozen' themed party and that the birthday girl was completely Frozen-obsessed.  Leah wanted a pillowcase that was Elsa colors on one side and flipped over to be Anna colors on the other side.  Pretty creative, I have to admit.  The birthday girl probably had all the other Frozen merchandise available in stores but she likely wouldn't have a reversible homemade pillowcase.  

I took these pictures on a pink background and wish I wouldn't have because it washes out the Anna side, but they'll have to do because the pillowcase has already been gifted.

The Elsa side:


White on white swirly fabric for the snow, two different blues for the accent part, and a few snowflakes hand embroidered in white and silver thread.  


The Anna side: 


Light pink for the main part, dark pink and hunter green for the accents (taken from Anna's dress colors) and some gold embroidery very roughly taken from the details on her dress.


At first I thought Leah wanted the pillowcase to be reversible by having one princess on the 'outside' and the other princess on the 'inside' but Leah corrected me and said, "No, it has to be Elsa on one half and Anna on the other half, plain white on the inside because no one ever sees the inside of a pillowcase."  

Yes, ma' am.  Its your birthday present.  :)  


It ended up being a pretty quick sew for me because time was short.  I would have liked to do more to jazz it up, likely doing fancier appliques in place of the quick-and-dirty-not-the-best-stitching-job embroidery.   Then again, its for an eight year old that we've only known for a few months.  Sometimes quick jobs have to be done.  At first Leah wanted to help with the sewing but when time got tight she said she'd rather 'just have you make it, Mom'.  

The gift was very well received.  As it turns out, the birthday girl is learning to sew so she really appreciated that we sewed something for her.  Once again, hooray for handmade.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment