Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, November 7, 2014

More Crochet Scarves

I made a few more crocheted scarves.  When things are busy at the costume shop and I sew for six hours in a day I don't really feel like sewing when I get home.  However, I still like a little crafty thing to keep my hands busy while watching TV, while the girls are playing happily, etc and crochet has been great for filling that need.

I am still learning about yarn and what kinds/styles/weights/colors I like to use.  Without a pressing project I thought it might be wise to crochet through my current stash to practice a bit and make some space for new yarn.

This first goofy scarf uses up yarn that I bought last year when I was brand brand new to crochet.   I think it looks kind of like a candy cane and wish it could have been just a bit longer, but since the point was to use up yarn I wasn't about to go out and buy more to make the scarf longer.

(The background for these pictures is light pink.  The first scarf is dark pink and white, the second scarf is plain white.)


I made a little tab on one end so the scarf can be wrapped around and tucked in... 



like so.  



It's soft and snuggly and will go in the general rotation for recess/outside play time.  Definitely a keep-you-warm-scarf and not a look-fashionable-outfit-scarf.  :)  Also, I carried the yarn between colors on this scarf thinking it would save me time weaving in tails at the end.  I wish I wouldn't have carried the colors because then I had to crochet the white around the edge to catch those carried threads and I think it would have looked nicer without that white on the edges.  Live and learn.  


This next scarf uses up the end of the white yarn from my shawl (which I am happy to say is getting lots of use - all three of us girls take turns wearing it to church each week).   I really like this thinner, silkier yarn, and I like the pattern I made up for the shawl so I used it again.   It ended up being a bit too short to use as a regular scarf (meaning, wrap around your neck a few times when worn with a coat) so I made it into a tube (twisting it one half turn before closing the tube) and I think it should work as a cowl/fashion scarf.  



Both these projects were fun to work on in the evening and now my yarn drawer has room for more. 
 I have two more partial balls to use up and I'm going to try a hat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment