Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Quilted Pencil Case

Whew!  It's been a while since I've posted any projects.  I've been sewing quite a bit so I have plenty of things to share and I'll try and get caught up in the next week or so.

Many of them are smaller projects because work has started back up again at the costume shop.  I am so blessed to have a job that involves getting paid to do sewing and pattern drafting AND is so flexible that its still allows me to be a housewife and stay at home mom.  I'll do a post about costume shop projects eventually, but it will probably be one big post about a semester or year's worth of work rather than cataloging them one by one as I do with my home sewing/crocheting/crafting.

Back to speaking about smaller projects, I've been following this blogger for a while and bought her pencil case pattern months ago.  If you ever need girly, pink, frilly, lace, pastel cutesy inspiration - this blogger is your go-to-girl.  Last weekend I was looking for an instant-gratification kind of project and decided to give this pattern a whirl.  I need another pencil case/pouch/cute little bag like I need a hole in the head but I couldn't help it.  :)   This one will definitely get some mileage because it's just so darn adorable!










Things I love about it: 

1.  The bound zipper opening.  So slick and easy to do and it looks so polished.  I might just bind all my bag zipper openings from now on. 

2.  The 'handmade' label.  That was a freebie when I ordered the pattern.  The pattern author uses lots of labels on stuff and I like the look.  I think you can find them on Etsy. 

3.  I love the little tabs on the ends of the zipper.  Brilliant and cute put together.  

4.  The overall shape/size.  Who doesn't love another good bag template? 

Things I hope to do better on next time: 

1.  The circular ends were a bit putzy and didn't turn out perfectly circular.  That part needs practice. 

2.   I needed literally one more inch of the lace trim!  I wanted it to go straight to the ends of the bag but was just.a.bit.short.  So I had to fudge a little and taper it into the zipper bindings.  Oh well.  

I definitely plan to make this one again.  There are so many cute ways you can embellish it or change it up.   Thanks for a good pattern and it was fun to make something for myself.  :)  It's already in my purse holding lotion, carmex, kleenex, etc.  


No comments:

Post a Comment