Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Cooked up a Batch of Aprons - Housewarming and Teacher Gifts

I made a batch of aprons last week - two adult size and two child size.

One will be given as a housewarming gift later this week (I have no less than four friends/family members moving into new homes this month!) with some home baked goodies.

The other three will be given as a trio to one of our teachers as her end-of-the-year gift.  Not very 'teacher-y' but I've already made this particular teacher a gazillion tote bags (here and here) so I had to get a little creative.  She likes to bake so I thought aprons would work nicely - practical but still a little bit personal.  I can't resist sewing for her two kiddos as well and since aprons stitch up quickly it was an easy add-on to make the gift a bit bigger.

Here are the adult aprons - they're both grey and white chevron with yellow accents.  Only the buttons are different.   I used this pattern for the overall size and shape of the apron and then added my own details (the ruffle at the bottom, the faux placket with buttons, and using ribbon for the ties).


Two styles of buttons.  

   



The ruffle I made myself.  The costume shop has a ruffler foot for their machines and I really need to invest in one of those for my home machine - they work so slick!  This one was done with three rows of gathering stitches.  Comparing this one to other aprons I've made I think the ruffle could have been a bit bigger/longer but I think this is alright.   It adds a little fun to the bottom.  


All the aprons are fully lined so they are nice and sturdy and wash really well.  
I've been using mine weekly for years.  



These are the kid's aprons.  


The girl's gets a ruffle and a bow.  



Clearly no ruffle needed for the boy's, but a handy pocket will do nicely to stow away a matchbox car or rock or whatever it is boys stick in their pockets.  



So this is the trio.  It gives you a sense of their sizes as well.  




I've made aprons many times before. 
Check them out here, here, and here.  
They make great useful gifts. 



   




No comments:

Post a Comment