Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Notebook Organizer / Writing Portfolio / Teacher Gift

This is my other End of The Year Teacher Gift.
I love it and want one for myself, 
which is usually a sign of a good gift.  :)



I practiced with a notebook organizer a few months ago and this one is a combination of that practice run and a few pictures off the internet (notably Gingercake's version).

The front is personalized with the teacher's name hand stitched in white perle cotton.



Adorable ruffle elastic holds it closed.



The elastic is sewn to the back cover and stretches around to keep the organizer shut.
The binding is machine stitched on the outside and hand stitched on the inside. 



Inside are a bunch of pockets.



You could obviously use them for whatever you wanted, but for this gift I filled them with a 5'' x 8'' writing tablet (jazzed up with scrapbook paper to cover the ugly top binding), writing paper (cut from coordinating scrapbook paper), envelopes, stamps, stickers, and a pen (that barely fits in its slot - not quite so snug next time Anne).






I love the modern clean colors and the fact that its made mostly from scraps of my other projects that I've been marathon sewing the last two months.


Construction notes-to-self in case I make it again:
Last time I did the turn-inside-out-through-a-hole-and-topstitch method.  
This time I bound it with a strip of double fold fabric.  
I think they're both fine - one isn't better than the other.  
I interfaced the teal pocket, the back of the grey lining piece, AND the back of the embroidered fabric/batting sandwich.  Then I sewed the layers together (wrong sides together) along the pen pocket and around three sides of the organizer.  Then I slid two rectangles of stiff bag interfacing in the 'pocket' made by each side.  Closed up the 4th side.  Then bound with straight grain double fold 2.5'' binding.  


No comments:

Post a Comment