Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, April 21, 2017

Button Snowmen Embroidery (Catching Up Post #1)

Catching Up Post #1
(see the Folding Coin Purse post just prior to this for an explanation as to why I need to catch up!)

A Christmas present for my mom, who loves and collects snowmen...



It might look like a random assortment of snowmen, but its actually a family tree.  My parents are the big snowmen at the top, their five children and five kids-in-laws are the middle sized snowmen, and their grandchildren are the smallest snowmen.  (We'll just ignore the fact that I found out I was pregnant right around Christmas time so the family tree was outdated BEFORE I EVEN GIFTED IT.  Sigh.) 



The top hats for the boys and bows for the girls were hand embroidered after the snowmen were made.   We have one grandson (thus far) in the family and I tried to make him a baseball cap instead of a top hat but it never looked quite right so in the end he got a top hat too.  


The background is a nice grey linen and the frame is a store bought 8x10.  




I got the idea from here.  It didn't translate exactly how I imagined it would but I still think its cute.  It was fun to sort through my button jar and I believe I only had to buy around 4-5 buttons to make all the sizes work out.   I wanted an eclectic mix of buttons rather than all matchy-matchy and I think it worked.  I suppose sometime after August I'll have to take three little buttons and some floss up to my parent's house so I can squeeze the new baby into its spot in the family.

Merry Christmas Mom!  

No comments:

Post a Comment