Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, April 21, 2017

Jane Austen embroidery (Catching Up Post #2)

Catching Up Post #2

This is a second embroidery I made for Christmas last year.  I came across this Jane Austen quote somewhere a few years ago and knew it belonged on our wall.  My husband is a huge Jane Austen fan and we are the most home-body family you could ever meet.  Our kids are not in many extracurricular activities, we all have home based hobbies we love to do, we never go out in the evenings unless we absolutely have to, we don't love to travel, etc, etc.  We just like being at home!  The idea simmered for well over a year before it came together to be a Christmas present for my husband and we all love how it turned out. 



The quote is from Austen's book 'Emma'.  
I haven't read that one so I can't expound on its context, but it perfectly fits our family.  



The background is tan linen, the floss colors are earthy - brown and green, and I was able to find this gorgeous wood frame that sets everything off nicely.  It took a bit of hunting to find a large frame that was square, not rectangular, but I'm glad I kept looking until I found one because the round leaf motif really needed a square frame.  (I drew the leaf motif.)

Here is a close up of the stitches.  The wrinkling of the stitched linen drives me a little batty but I'm sure I'm the only one who notices.  



My husband was pleasantly surprised and impressed by the gift and it now hangs prominently in the living room next to one of the bookcases and the fireplace.  



I did forget to stitch my initials and the date in the bottom corner, like I do on my quilts, but I'll leave it for now.  If I ever take it out of the frame to rectify the wrinkles I'll add it then!  


No comments:

Post a Comment