Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

More Crochet Practice...

I am having fun learning to crochet.  

After a few scarves, I have moved onto other things.

This is a little pencil case I whipped up to hold my pens/pencils/yellow highlighter when I go to bible study.  It seems as though I always have too many pens in my purse... until I really need one and there are none to be found.

Its made with variegated yarn, single crochet stitch, with a button and buttonhole.  It only took me an evening to make and has already been very handy.





After that, I came across crocheting in the round and made this market-style bag.  The pattern came from here on the internet (whose solid bright color is much cuter than mine - I don't have a yarn stash yet!).  Its made with the same variegated yarn and a much looser double-crochet-in-the-space stitch, which makes it very floppy/stretchy.  You're supposed to use it at the farmers market and it'll hold an gigantic amount of oranges or something because it'll just keep expanding.  



Unfortunately I can't say I've found it to be very practical yet.  You can't put anything too heavy in it or it just stretches really long and thin, and it could probably use a stretchy lining so smaller things don't fall out.  However, as you can see, its already been confiscated by the girls and is a good stuffed animal pouch, plus it taught me crocheting in the round as well as gave me practice increasing and decreasing stitches so I'm happy.



I already have some ideas for Christmas/baby gifts that might be crocheted rather than quilted/sewn this year.  While making the market bag I found myself toting around a little workbasket everywhere I went so I could 'do a quick round or two' while I waited for something...its very addicting!




No comments:

Post a Comment