Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Reupholster kindergarten couch

Here is a different type of project.  Word is apparently getting around the girl's school that I sew, and a teacher asked if I could fix a dilapidated pint-sized couch.  I said I would give it a shot.

Here is what it looked like BEFORE:



It was covered with quilting cotton fabric (the frogs, which the girls thought was totally disgusting) and then some other scrap of blue that was tucked in to cover the foam on the seat.  The foam on the arm was exposed and getting picked at by little kids.  Ew.

Here is the AFTER photo:


Much better, right?  

It turned out to be easier to take off the old cover entirely and recover the original foam/wood so it was more of a hot glue and staple gun project than a sewing project.  We picked out some heavy duty canvas from the clearance racks at Hancock so it would be a bit sturdier than the previous quilting cotton cover.  Lots of staple removing, dusty corner cleaning (think kindergarten dirt), cutting of fabric rectangles, and then stapling back on.  I can't say I feel the need to do much more upholstery work, but I was happy to help out the teacher and keep the kiddos from picking at foam.  

Okay, quick -  put the staple gun back in the garage and get back to needle and thread!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment