Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Friday, July 13, 2018

Carolyn Pajamas by Closet Case Files

This project is another one that is oh so enjoyable because its oh so useful.

Store-bought pajamas drive me batty because the sleeves and pants are never long enough.  I'm tall and thin so either they fit my midsection but my wrists and ankles stick out or they're big as a tent to give me enough length.  After years of musing about it I finally got around to making myself some.  I chose the Caryoln Pajamas because of the description of a 'modern fit' (hoping for something not too matronly looking) and the piping (which I decided to skip on these pairs while I tested out sizes but I'll definitely do that detail on future makes).

I planned and made a flannel pair first, but it took me so long to make them that by the time I finished it was too warm for flannel. Drat.  I quickly bought some cotton shirting and made another pair so I could try out a few alterations while they were fresh in my brain and have a summer pair.  I had enough summery fabric to make two shirts (one long sleeve and one short sleeve).  I'll enjoy the flannel ones come fall. 

Fabric:

Round 1:  mint flannel from JoAnn's
Round 2:  green/white dot cotton shirting, also from JoAnn's

I'm happy with both!  The shirting especially is nice for summer - its cool and crisp and comfortable.  It requires ironing but if you think I'm going to iron my pajamas you're crazy.   Here they are in all their unpressed glory. 











Pattern:

Fit and style are good, instructions are okay.  Not the most detailed instructions in the world, especially around the collar and facings area.  In my opinion, a back facing would be simpler than the way she does it and I'll probably draft my own back facing pattern piece the next time I make them.  Also, I didn't follow the pattern's button placement guide because the top button would have been too low.  However, that messes up the lapels and how they folds so they usually stick up a bit and are more closed than intended.  Fine by me!



Alterations needed: 

Lengthened the crotch area of the pants by a full inch.  The shirt I had to size up significantly on my second pair.  

Now I feel like I've got it down and can make a pair of nice pajamas whenever I need them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment