Welcome to Anne's sewing blog!

I started this blog in 2012 in an attempt to keep better track of all the little things I make. I have found it fun to 'catalog' what I make so I'll continue to post my finished projects as they appear.

Its mostly for my personal use, but also gives me a way to share cute stuff with my craft-oriented friends and family. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Comfort Dolls underway....

Here are two little angel comfort dolls that have emerged from the sewing room in the last week or two.  




They are a combination of a pattern from the recent Sew News magazine and from a Tilda/Tonne Finnanger book.  The idea started from an article in Sew News about sewing comfort dolls that are then donated to women at domestic abuse centers.  See www.comfortdollproject.blogspot.com for more info or the article here:  http://www.sewnews.com/content_downloads/Sew_Your_Support.pdf

They are fast and fun (and adorable!) so I plan to make more.  Then I will have to decide if I should mail them to the official Comfort Doll Project people or if I should just take them to our local shelter with a scriptural message attached (rather than the generic one that the Comfort Doll Project people attach).  We'll see - first I have to make more.  

I made the larger one first.  I like different things about each one.  I like the wings on the smaller one better.    I like how the seed bead necklace turned out on the bigger one.  The larger one has a boxed bottom so she can stand on her own, the smaller one has just a whipstitched bottom because I modified the shape of the 'skirt' halfway through.  They might need some hair so they look less 'baldy'.  :)  I love how the bottom fabric makes a cute dress.  

The bigger one is 7.5'', the smaller one 6''.  (They are supposed to be six inches or less - the idea is that they are small enough to tuck into a purse and/or hold in your hand inconspicuously.)  


The girls have enjoyed flying them around the living room.  I'll post more when I get them done! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment